Looking for the best TurboTax service code? If you’ve used TurboTax you may not have even noticed the field to enter a “service code” at checkout. That’s because you probably don’t have one and are just happy to finish your dang tax return!
However, the option of entering a code at checkout made me wonder whether I could get a discount on the total cost of filing with TurboTax. In short, the answer is both “yes” and “no.” You can get a discount before filing, but no, you don’t need to enter a service code. (and don’t even bother searching Reddit!) Here’s how discount codes and coupons work, and how to get the best price with a coupon when you eFile at TurboTax.Intuit.com:
Table of Contents:
Best Service Codes, Coupons Now
Tip: The best discounts for TurboTax are early in the tax season. Prices for Deluxe, Premier, and Self-Employed go up after March 15th in 2021, so for the best price file early if you can!
While simply clicking one of the coupons above will apply the discount, it’s also possible to use a service code. If you were issued a code, then you’ll want to know how they work.
About TurboTax Service Codes
What is a Service Code? A TurboTax service code is 7-digit alpha-numeric code issued directly to customers by a TurboTax customer support agent over the phone for “special circumstances” including a specific discount, credit, or -refund. Service codes are non-transferrable, and will expire on October 15th, 2021. Apply this discount
You probably don’t need one! Most customers will not need to enter a service code as simply clicking on a partner discount should apply the advertised savings like this:
You’ll have a chance to preview your taxes and then use a service code at checkout when you review your order and pay:
Here’s how to enter a service code if one has been issued to you:
How Service Codes Work in 2021
TurboTax customer support may issue service codes directly over the phone for special circumstances. Here’s how to use one:
How do I use a TurboTax service code?
- Sign in to your account at turbotax.intuit.com
- Select File from the left navigation menu
- On the screen that says, “…only x more steps to file your returns,” click Start
- You will be shown an itemized list of all fees associated with your tax return. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select, “I have a service code“
- You will receive a prompt to enter your service code
If your service code or coupon is not working, here’s why:
Black Alliance Discount Applies to: Deluxe, Premier, and Self-Employed + LIVE
The current semi-exclusive promotion advertised by TurboTax affiliates like Black Alliance applies to their popular Deluxe, Premier, and Self-Employed online editions.
While the discount does include LIVE editions, but not the Business Edition, (for S Corp and LLC).
Discount or Coupon Not Working?
Why is my TurboTax discount not working? If you clicked on a promotional link or have entered a service code and the discount is not applied to your order total, hopefully, we can help.
The most common reason for TurboTax coupons to not work is due to the security measures on turbotax.intuit.com.
You see, your tax information is incredibly sensitive, so if you are logged in to your account, the site security will block cookies including ones that apply a discount to your order.
This means that people who have already started their tax return may have a problem applying a coupon at checkout. The good news is that there should be a quick fix.
Here’s what to do if your coupon or TurboTax Service code is not working:
- Log out of turbotax.intuit..com
- Click on our featured discount to apply a code
- Log back into the turbotax.intuit.com site and review your order
- You should see the lower price and a message that says, “Your discount has been applied”
- If the coupon is still not working, you may have to clear your browser cache or even delete your cookies (How?)
Don’t have a code? Here are other ways to get a discount on TurboTax:
College students with simple taxes can file free with TurboTax. While TurboTax does not advertise a distinctly different product for students, their software is superior for the needs of both students and teachers. Qualifying filers can also get a $1000+ refund from education deductions and tax credits such as the American Opportunity tax credit (AOTC) and lifetime learning tax credit. Learn more
Not taking classes full-time? If you don’t qualify to file free you can save up to $20 with our exclusive discount here.
Tip: Skip the Codes on Reddit!
You may notice that a number of TurboTax service codes are listed on Reddit like this:
These codes look promising, but usually don’t work! In fact, I’ve tried many of them and never gotten a single one to work! That’s because codes expire after the first use, so posting them publicly is waste of time. If you want a valid discount on TurboTax Online directly from Intuit, check out our exclusive coupons.
TurboTax service code generator? I saw a site online that claims to generate service codes for TurboTax. This is clearly just clickbait, as codes can only be issued directly from a customer service agent!
8 TurboTax Partner Discounts (More Ways You Can Save!)
Does TurboTax offer partner discounts for their 2021 online products?
Yes, TurboTax has a number of partners who promote an affiliate discount to its members. Getting the discount simply requires logging in to your account on a participating affiliate’s website or app and navigating to the respective promotion.
Here are popular partners who offer an affiliate discount on TurboTax:
- Students and those in the lowest tax bracket may qualify for significant education tax credits and deductions. View this discount on turbotax.intuit.com/students, or Learn more.
- Military Discount: If you are an active member of the Army, armed services, or USAA, be sure to check out their free Edition for military
- Costco: Are you a Costco member? If so, you can get a great price on Desktop Editions in-store, especially early in the tax season. Learn how
- AARP: If you’re a senior, you may be eligible for a special discount on TurboTax. Learn more.
- Self-Employed Discount – Working for yourself has a lot of benefits, including our TurboTax Self-Employed discount here!
- AAA Members: Login to your account at aaa.com to see if their special member discount s available
- Groups: Members of certain groups may also have access to a special discount for Turbo Tax Online including teachers, federal employees, Navy Federal, and Uber drivers
- People post promo codes on Reddit, but are they even real? Usually not!
Why file early w/ TurboTax? – aol.com
Turbo Tax tells us that they issue service codes to fewer than 1% of customers. That means for most of us the best discounts online for TurboTax can be found through partner sites including finance blogs (like Black Alliance!), banks, and trusted coupon sites like RetailMeNot or Groupon.
*When is Tax Day 2021? The IRS has started accepting e-file returns as of 2/12/21, and the payment deadline has now been extended to 5/17/21
Although death and taxes are unavoidable, at least you can save big on TurboTax software when you use a coupon or partner discount!
*This coupon page was created in 2017, and updated for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021